Illinois | Iowa | Kansas | Minnesota | Missouri | Nebraska
North Dakota | South Dakota | Wisconsin
Battery K, 4th U.S. Light Artillery
First Sergeant Glen Kelley, Commander
Pvt. Michael Carr, Adjutant
Battery K, 4th U.S. Light Artillery is the newest unit to join the 4th Military District. Organizing of the unit began in October of 2009 as a joint venture between the Department of Iowa and the Department of Nebraska to acquire an artillery presence at SUVCW / SVR activities.
The commander of this unit is First Sergeant Glen Kelley. Corporals are Keith Rockefeller and Michael Carr (adjutant).
The original Battery K, 4th U.S. Light Artillery served in the Army of the Potomac's III Corps until it was disbanded after being decimated at Gettysburg. Thereafter, the battery served in II Corps until the end of the war.
The battery was armed with six 12-pound brass Napoleon smoothbores.
In August, 1861, Battery K was sent to Washington, mounted as a light battery (2 20-pdr. Parrott's and 2 12-pdr. howitzers), and in the organization in October was assigned to the Reserve Artillery. In December its armament was changed to 6 12-pdr. Napoleon guns. It remained a light battery throughout the War, retaining its six guns until May, 1864, when two of them were turned in, under the order reducing the batteries to four guns each.
It participated in the Peninsular campaign, being engaged at Yorktown April 28, 1862. June 2d it was assigned to the Third (Heintzelman's) Corps, and fought at Fair Oaks June 25th, at Ropers' Church June 30th, at Malvern Hill July 1st, and again at the same place August 6th. When Burnside took command of the Army it was assigned to the Second (Sickles') Division of the Third (Hooker's) Corps, having been previously part of the reserve/ artillery of the corps.
On May 3rd it fought at Chancellorsville, losing Lieut. I. Arnold wounded, and 44 men and 59 horses killed and wounded. It was in this battle, on the height at Fairview, at the extreme left of the crest, while under the most terrific fire, that K Battery won the admir-ation of all who beheld it.
After the battle it became part of the corps artillery of the 3rd Corps for the battle of Gettysburg. Lieutenant Seeley was severely wounded and 24 men and 28 horses were killed, wounded and missing. The Battery was next engaged at Union Mills October 18th, and at Mine Run November 30, 1863. In April, 1864, the Battery was assigned to the artillery brigade of the 2d Corps, and during the succeeding campaigns of the War, under command of Lieut. J. W. Roder. In the Wilderness campaign it was engaged at Spott-sylvania Heights May 10th, 12th, 16th and 18th; near North Anna May 22d, 24th, 25th and 26th.; at Sheridan's Farm May 30th and 31st, at Cold Harbor June 3d, 4th, 5th and 12th; near Petersburg June 16th, 17th, 19th, 20th and 26th; at Deep Bottom August 16th, and Boydton Plank Road October 27, 1864.
The right section was engaged at Hatcher's Run, February 7, 8, 1865. and the Battery participating with its corps in the final campaign against Lee, was in action near Hatcher's Run March 22d, in the vicinity of Fort Cummings March 25th, at Hatcher's Run April 1st and 2d, at Sailor's Creek April 6th, and had the satisfaction of being at Appomattox Court House on the 9th of April when the Army of Northern Virginia laid down its arms.